Christopher Changwe Nshimbi and Lorenzo Fioramonti GovInn, University of Pretoria for the African Centre for Migration & Society, University of the Witwatersrand and the Migrating for Work Research Consortium (MiWORC).
This report focuses on the management of labour migration from countries in the Southern African region
to South Africa.
This review was undertaken to address the following research questions:
- Does any specific legislation pertaining to labour migration (to South Africa from SADC countries)exist?
- If yes, are there any regional governance components or informal regional considerations in this legislation?
- Alternatively, are legislation and policies driven by bilateral agreements?
- Is there any policy harmonisation with specific international standards?
- Do international actors (e.g. IOM, ILO, EU, etc.) influence existing legislation and debates in the SADC countries under review?